Graduate Appointees & Fellowship Recipients
Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- Provides a death benefit to the designated beneficiary in the amount of $20,000.
Basic Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment insurance is available to all eligible Graduate Appointees and Fellowship Recipients. The policy is underwritten by Anthem Life Insurance.
Basic Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment insurance is available to all enrollees participating in medical and dental coverage. Those who are eligible are automatically enrolled in the policy; no action is required for coverage. The policy is underwritten by Anthem Life Insurance.
Initiation of Coverage
- Graduate Appointees are eligible on the day they become part of an eligible group (usually date of hire).
- Fellowship Recipients on the day they become part of an eligible group (usually 8/1 for Fall recipients and 1/1 for Spring recipients).
- There are no waiting periods to satisfy.
- Proof of good health is not required.
- All enrollees can make a beneficiary designation by submitting the Beneficiary Form to Anthem.
Termination of Coverage
Coverage terminates when appointment with Indiana University terminates or the fellowship ends at the end of the semester. There is an option to convert the life insurance policy when no longer eligible for the plan.
It is recommended that those who are eligible complete the Life Insurance Beneficiary Form to designate beneficiaries under the policy. Completed forms should be returned by fax or mail to IU Human Resources:
IU Human Resources
420 N. Walnut Street
Bloomington, Indiana 47404
Travel assistance benefits are available 24/7 through Generali Global Assistance, Inc. (GGA). Enrollees simply call the toll-free number listed below with any medical, personal or travel needs. From immunizations and passports before you leave to transport in a medical emergency during your trip, you have access to a wide range of travel assistance services with GGA. They include:
- Medical Evacuation/Repatriation - If a doctor chosen by GGA decides that you should be taken to a different medical facility or to your place of residence for treatment, GGA will find a way to take you there and pay for it up to the program limit of $1,000,000 per medical incident.
- Doctor, Dentist, and Hospital Referrals - GGA will help you find doctors, dentists and medical facilities. When you have a medical emergency, professional case managers, including doctors and nurses, review your case to make sure you're getting the right care or decide if evacuation/repatriation is required.
- Emergency Travel Arrangements - GGA can make new travel arrangements or change airline, hotel, and car rental reservations if there is an emergency or something else happens you don't expect.
- Legal Consultations & Bail Bond Assistance - GCA will find an attorney and loan you money for the bail bond, if the law permits.
- Interpretation/Translation - GGA will help with telephone interpretation in all major languages or will refer you to a service that interprets and translates documents in writing.
Review the Travel Assistance Summary (PDF) for additional program benefits and details.
Travel Assistance 24/7 Contact Information:
U.S. and Canada – 866-295-4890
Other Locations – 202-296-7482
For questions about Basic Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment insurance, contact:
Anthem Life & Disability Insurance Company
Attn: Life Claims Service Center
P.O. Box 105448
Atlanta, Georgia 30348-5448