Childcare and Eldercare
Care@Work by Care.com is a resource for finding and hiring pre-screened caregivers and care companies for any member of your family – from infants to adults to pets. The Care@Work program provides eligible employees with two distinct benefits:
- Backup Care Services help families find last-minute care providers when normal care arrangements are disrupted
- Premium Care.com Membership gives employees access to Care.com to find, book, and pay for caregivers online; find backup care; and explore guides, articles, and tools on child, senior, home, and pet care
Accessing Care@Work benefits starts by creating an account at iu.care.com or by downloading the Care.com app for your Apple or Android device. When you are ready to use your Care@Work benefits, log in to your account or call 855-781-1303.
Review the Care@Work Benefits Overview (PDF) for additional information on the program.
Dial 855-781-1303 and select prompt 4 to speak to a care rep. Your account will be moved to the IU employer group and you will enjoy premium access at no cost.
The Care@Work program is available to all full-time Academic and Staff employees, IU Residents, and eligible Graduate Appointees. Services are available nationally.
Backup Care Services
Backup Care Services help families find last-minute in-home or in-center providers at a reduced cost when normal care arrangements are disrupted.
Each eligible IU employee can request up to 15 days of child or adult care per year with copays of $6/hour for in-home care (4 hour minimum) or $15 a day for each child or adult in a local, participating care center.
How Backup Care Works
- In-home Backup Care for Children (PDF)
- In-center Backup Care for Children (PDF)
- Backup Care for Adults (PDF)
Premium Care.com Membership
A premium Care.com membership gives eligible employees unlimited access find, schedule, manage, and pay for care. Through Care.com you can explore detailed provider profiles, access background check options, use safety tools, send real-time payments to caregivers, and even learn about household payroll and tax assistance. IU pays for access to this service; but you pay the full cost of caregivers you hire.
Here are some ways you can use your premium Care.com website membership:
- Search for a care provider for any member of your family or yourself
- Hire a special needs caregiver
- Find camps during school vacations and holidays
- Get backup care when traveling
- Find help with household chores, rides, or tutoring
- Find dog walkers or pet sitters
- Help your parent attend a medical appointment
- Access articles on a wide array of topics, such as caregiving, safety, and assisted living
How Premium Membership Works
Your Care.com Membership Benefit (PDF)
Background check companies sub-contracted by Care.com can verify information contained in provider profiles. Preliminary background checks are at no cost to the employee. Information based on reviews and ratings is also available, with the ability to provide one's own review and rating.
The well-being of IU employees and their families is of the highest priority. The Care.com website offers an extensive Safety Center of information, tips, and tools to help evaluate risk and stay savvy about safety; for example, how to make smart decisions when searching for a caregiver.
The IRS may consider the backup care services provided through Care.com in a given calendar year as a taxable benefit. Beginning with the 2020 tax year, Indiana University will report taxable benefits as follows:
- Adult Care is considered taxable income and will be added to your paycheck at the end of the calendar year.
- Backup and Child Care may be considered a taxable benefit when used in conjunction with a Tax Saver Benefit (TSB) Dependent Care Account. The amount of the benefit you received, paid for by Indiana University, will be reported on your Form W-2 in Box 10 as Dependent Care Benefits. If the sum of your Backup Care plus your TSB Dependent Care contributions are greater than $2,500 (for employees who are married but filing separately) or $5,000 (for employees who are either married and filing jointly or single and filing as “Head of Household”), the amount over $2,500/$5,000 will be reported as taxable income.
It is the participant’s responsibility to pay any federal, state or local tax liability, or other fees or gratuities, connected with use of the program. For further guidance on this topic please contact a tax professional or the IRS directly (www.irs.gov).
For additional questions contact Care.com at 855-781-1303 or email IU Human Resources at .