Step 6: Review policies
New Staff employees (non-academic) must review the following policy summaries.
- Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)—This federal law helps balance family and work needs by allowing up to 12 weeks of leave in a 12-month period.
- Non-Discrimination/Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action—IU prohibits discrimination and harassment based on arbitrary considerations of such characteristics as age, color, disability, ethnicity, gender, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, and veteran status.
- Substance-Free Workplace—IU prohibits unlawful activities and use of controlled substances and alcohol on university premises or while conducting university business off university premises.
- Conflicts of Interest and Commitment—It is the policy of Indiana University that conflicts of interest should be avoided where possible, or otherwise disclosed and managed. Employees have a responsibility to immediately disclose any real or potential conflicts of interest. It is also the policy of Indiana University that employees devote their university work activities to official functions of the university; use university resources only in the interest of the university; and, not allow external activities to impede the fulfillment of university responsibilities.
- Whistleblower Policy—This policy protects the IU employee who makes a good faith disclosure of suspected wrongful conduct. Those who have knowledge of specific acts that are reasonably believed to violate the law or university policy must disclose those acts to an appropriate IU official.