Designate or Update Beneficiaries
It is important to keep your beneficiary designations up to date because named beneficiaries on insurance policies and retirement plans usually supersede instructions in wills. By periodically reviewing your beneficiary designations for your IU-sponsored benefit plans, you can rest assured that your assets will be distributed according to your wishes.
It is important to know that you must change beneficiaries for each plan account separately. For example, employees who elect a supplemental retirement plan will have to name beneficiaries for the base retirement plan and the supplemental retirement plan.
Visit the Life Events & Benefit Changes page to learn how to update your beneficiaries for other IU-sponsored benefit plans.
- Login to Netbenefits.com/Indiana
- Select Menu under the Indiana University logo.
- Select Beneficiaries
- Click the gray Edit button next to the plan you wish to make changes for
- Add new beneficiaries or make changes to your current beneficiary’s personal information:
- Select the blue Add a Primary Beneficiary button to add a new beneficiary
- Select Edit next to the beneficiary you wish to make changes to
- Enter or update the desired benefit percentage in the box
- Select the Yes/No button to apply the beneficiary settings to all of your eligible plans
- If applicable, repeat steps 4 – 6 for each plan account
- Once you have made all of your desired changes scroll down and select the blue Save All button to submit your changes.
TIAA (Legacy Accounts Only)
- Login to TIAA
- Select the Actions tab at the top of the page
- Select the Beneficiaries button under Top Actions
- Select the Add New button to add a new beneficiary
- Click the Edit Existing button to edit an existing beneficiary
- Select the Action button next to the plan you wish to make changes for
- Select Add Beneficiaries or Change Allocations
- Click the button to Add Beneficiary (if applicable)
- Select the Beneficiary Type (Primary or Contingent) for each beneficiary
- Enter the Allocation Percentage for each beneficiary
- Click Next
- Review and click the I agree radio button
- Click Submit
- Click Done
- If applicable, repeat steps 6-11 for each plan account
Public Employees' Retirement Fund (PERF)
In This Section