University Human Resources
Long Term Disability Insurance
Reduced Premiums and Enhancements to LTD Insurance
Negotiations with The Standard, underwriter of the IU LTD plan, have resulted in a reduction of premiums and several enhancements that become effective March 1, 2007.
- The university’s LTD plan will have a 10 percent overall reduction in premiums effective March 1, 2007.
One-time Opportunity to Add Retirement Protection Benefit
Current enrollees who do not have the Retirement Protection Benefit can add this benefit without showing proof of eligibility. This opportunity is only available between March 1, 2007, and April 30, 2007. Participants will receive a letter and change form describing this option.
New Enrollees Can Enroll at any Time
Full-time employees may enroll at any time after their initial eligibility period (60 days after first becoming eligible) by showing proof of insurability. Employees not already enrolled in LTD insurance may want to consider enrolling now.
- The two-step process to enroll and all necessary forms are at the Benefits Change Connection.
Indiana University's Long Term Disability Plan is an income replacement plan for covered employees who become disabled due to an illness or accident.
- With claim approval, pays a regular income when an enrolled employee is disabled.
- Replaces up to 60 percent of salary, to a maximum of $10,000 per month, less Social Security, Worker's Compensation, income, or similar benefits from other sources.
- Pays benefits as long as total disability continues, until age 65 (or to a later age if disability occurs after age 60).
- Allows the eligible participant to choose if benefits will begin after three months (90 days) or after six months (180 days) of disability.
- Offers an optional Retirement Protection Benefit (Annuity Contribution Benefit)--which pays to a retirement annuity fund--contributions equal to 10 percent of the covered employee's base salary. For enrollees prior to July 1, 1999, this benefit provision equals 12 percent of base salary.
- Provides a 3 percent annual Cost of Living Adjustment increase in benefits after receiving benefit payments for the required period of time.
- An Assisted Living Benefit provides extra income replacement for severely disabled individuals.
- Pays a survivor benefit of 3 times the monthly benefit without reductions, as long as the participant had a continuous disability for 180 days.
- Provides benefits for Mental Illnesses, for up to 24 months.
- All Indiana University full-time appointed employees are eligible for the Long Term Disability Plan.
- Initiation of Plan participation must be made within 30 days after becoming an eligible employee, by submitting the appropriate paperwork to the campus Human Resources Office.
- Application for enrollment or change in coverage option after the first 30 days of eligibility must be accompanied by a Medical History Statement.
- The total premium for LTD coverage is paid by the employee.
- The cost for this disability insurance varies with the enrollee's age, salary, and selected option
- Option A - 180 day waiting period
- Option B - 90 day waiting period
- Option C - 180 day waiting period with the Annuity Contribution Benefit
- Option D - 90 day waiting period with the Annuity Contribution Benefit
- Annuity Contribution Benefit payments begin on April 1st if you have been disabled for the preceding 24 months. A lump sum payment equal to 24 months of annuity contribution benefit will be directly credited to retirement annuity and monthly payments will continue while receiving LTD benefits, or until annuity contribution benefit funds are transferred or withdrawn.
- Premiums are automatically deducted from the employee's paycheck
- Premium rates are reviewed annually, and information about any changes is available from the campus Human Resources Office
- Go to the Premium Estimator to have the monthly amount automatically calculated.
- The premium automatically changes based on employee's age and salary.
- Coverage begins when an eligible employee has completed the appropriate paperwork to the campus Human Resources Office within the first 30 days of eligibility; or
- If after the first 30 days, upon the approval date after review of the employee’s Medical History Statement by Standard Insurance Company.
- Long Term Disability Insurance will not begin, even after applications have been submitted for an eligible employee, until the first day the employee is Actively At Work.
- Coverage under the LTD Plan continues as long as the eligible employee continues to have premium payments made directly from salary.
- If an employee ceases to be eligible for coverage under the Indiana University Long Term Disability Plan, insurance under a conversion policy may be available.
- The LTD claim packet (PDF) contains the forms necessary to apply for Long Term Disability benefits. Every space on these forms should be filled in to avoid delay in processing the application. If a section does not apply, or information is not available, write "NA" in the space to confirm the question was not overlooked. Please take a moment to double-check that each statement is signed and dated. An unsigned or undated statement will be returned to you.
- The Long Term Disability Claim Packet includes the following claim forms and an Authorization:
- The Employee's Statement: Attach copies of any Social Security, PERF or Workers' Compensation benefits you may have received or applied for. This information is needed to accurately calculate your monthly benefits.
- The Authorization to Obtain and Release Information & The Authorization to Obtain and Release Psychotherapy Notes: Please sign and date the Authorization to Obtain Information. If you have seen or been treated by a provider of treatment for a mental condition, please sign and return the Authorization to Obtain and Release Information and the Authorization to Obtain and Release Psychotherapy Notes.
- The Attending Physician's Statement: Part A of this form should be completed by you. Part B of this form should be completed by your treating physician(s).
- The Employer's Statement: Please mail this form to 400 E. Seventh Street Bloomington, IN 47405 Poplars Building E165 ATTN: Robin L. Reynolds, Group Insurance Administrator for completion. Please include the name of your manager and a copy of your job description with your mailing. The Employer's Statement will be completed and mailed directly to The Standard Benefit Administrators.
- Please arrange to have all completed forms returned to : The Standard Benefit Administrators PO Box 5031 White Plains, NY 10602 for processing.