Retirement and Financial Education
Below are the workshops, persentations, webinars, and tools currently offered by IU Human Resources, Fidelity, and TIAA. New educational opportunities will be added as they become available, so check back often.
Individual counseling for your retirement investments is also available, see the Individual Investment and Retirement Income Planning page.
Clicking RSVP will take you to a new page on UHR's or an investment company's site.
See workshop descriptions >
|Take the First Steps to Investing||IMU, Persimmon Room||RSVP|
|Starting Line: Beginning to Save for Retirement||IMU, Maple Room||RSVP|
|Fundamentals of Retirement Income Planning||IMU, Sassafras Room||RSVP|
|Take the First steps to Investing||Campus Center 409||RSVP|
|Thrive: Women and Investing||Goodman Hall (GH) 1353A||RSVP|
|Fundamentals of Retirement Income Planning||Campus Center 409||RSVP|
Clicking Register will take you to a new page on an investment company's site.
|Charting Your Course: A financial guide for women||Online||Register|
|Paying Yourself: Income options for retirement||Online||Register|
|Halfway There: A retirement checkpoint||Online||Register|
|Postcards From the Future: A woman’s guide to financially ever after||Online||Register|
|Inside Money: Managing income and debt||Online||Register|
|Within Reach: Transitioning from career to retirement||Online||Register|
|SPECIAL TOPIC: Protect you, your family and your money||Online||Register|
|The Starting Line: Why and how retirement saving should begin now||Online||Register|
Building a Portfolio for Any Weather
Learn the basics of investing, considerations for choosing an investment mix, and strategies to help keep you on track.
Fundamentals of Retirement Income Planning
The goal of this workshop will be to understand the financial and personal risks pre-retirees may face and how to put a plan in place to prepare for living in retirement.
Get Started and Save for the Future You
- Understand the benefits of enrolling in a retirement savings plan
- Know the steps you need to take to enroll in a plan
- Estimate if you're saving enough and explore ways to increase the amount you're saving.
Halfway There: A retirement checkup
Help make sure your retirement is ready when you are.
Halfway? Already? Retirement has a way of creeping up on people. Before you know it, you’ll be depending on all the money you saved and invested. If you’re panicking, don’t. There’s still time!
Give your retirement savings a checkup. TIAA’s workshop leader will provide information to help you determine where you need to be in your retirement savings, and how to get back on track if you’re behind:
- Find out how much you should be saving
- Discover different investment vehicles and how they can work together to help you reach your retirement goals
- Learn what’s competing for your retirement savings
Help Secure your Retirement with Lifetime Income
Invest in yourself and take the time to learn about the present challenges and risks people face as they plan for retirement, and the importance of generating an income for life.
Identify and Prioritize Your Goals
This workshop is going to help you take your next best steps so that you'll be better prepared to achieve your savings goals.
Inside Money: Managing income and debt
It’s your budget—take control.
Everyone talks about a budget, but how many of us actually make one? Most people have some debt, but how many understand its effects on their lives and their futures? Let us show you the real impact of budgeting and debt—and how to help make your
TIAA’s workshop leader will explain the big picture of budgeting:
- Learn the importance of cash flow—and how to use it
- Change how you look at saving and spending
- Understanding debt and how to manage it
Make the Most of Your Retirement Savings
This workshop will explain:
- The importance of saving as much as possible for retirement
- How much to save for retirement and the benefits of saving more
- Different account types you can use to save for retirement
- Ways to preserve and grow your savings to last throughout your lifetime
Money at Work: Foundations of investing
In this workshop you'll learn:
- Managing risk versus reward
- Understanding the role of investing and managing investment risks
- Augmenting programs to help accelerate savings
- Products and tools to sustain a portfolio
Paying Yourself: Income options in retirement
It’s time to consider a little payback.
You’ve made a lot of sacrifices in order to put away enough money to retire. When it’s finally time, do you know how to get the money back? There are lots of considerations, rules and tax implications that make these decisions very important and more complex. Relax. We can help.
TIAA’s workshop leader will help simplify retirement income:
- Learn the basic rules that govern the most common retirement accounts
- Gain perspective on when to tap into different assets
- Discover the flexible income choices TIAA offers
Start to Finish: The early career woman’s guide to financial wisdom
Financial knowledge to get started on the right foot. Start caring for your financial well-being now. It’s never too early to begin saving, and the sooner you do, the happier you can be down the road.
TIAA’s workshop leader will share financial strategies:
- Understand your income and your outflow, and how to balance them to your advantage
- Discover how saving a little now can help you later on
- Make a plan for your finances and your financial future
Starting Line: Beginning to save for retirement
There’s no time like the present to save for the future.
Sometimes it’s hard to think about retirement when you’re just starting out in your career. The truth is, that’s when thinking ahead can do the most good! It all starts with some practical knowledge. TIAA’s workshop leader will help you get ahead of your retirement saving with some tools and information you can use right now:
- Learn the real effect of time on money thanks to compounding and dollar cost averaging1
- Understand debt and how to manage it
- See how budgeting can find money and help you save it
Tomorrow in Focus: Saving for your ideal retirement
Believe it or not, your retirement starts now.
No matter how old or young you are, or where you are in your career, your retirement begins when you start saving for it. Join us for an interactive exploration of retirement saving and learn how to help create an effective plan to help maximize your retirement potential.
TIAA’s workshop leader will help you:
- Understand the real benefit of time in regard to saving
- Learn the essential features of retirement investments
- Gain the confidence you need to create or modify your own retirement plan
Turn Your Savings into Retirement Income
If you’re planning to retire within the next few years:
Learn the benefits of a retirement income plan, factors to consider when transitioning your savings into income, and ways to develop a retirement plan for your goals and lifestyle.