Paid Time Off Program for Professional Staff
Paid Time Off at a Glance
Paid Time Off (PTO) benefits provide time off for vacation, sick leave, funeral attendance, and other absences from work. Full-time Professional staff employees earn 30 days of paid time off each year. After five years of service, they earn 36 days a year.
All appointed staff also enjoy 9 paid holidays a year:
New Year's Day
Martin Luther King Jr. Day
Friday after Thanksgiving
Additional paid time off is granted for specific purposes such as, Military Leave, Court Duty, Voting, Adverse Weather, Adverse Working Conditions, and Injury on-the-Job.
The following table shows the amount of PTO staff earn annually.
Staff with this amount of university service credit Earn this amount of PTO at the end of each month For a total of this amount each year During the first 60 months of university service credit 20 hours per month 240 hours (30 days) After 60 months of university service credit 24 hours per month 288 hours (36 days)
For a full explanation of this plan and its provisions, see the policy, Paid Time Off for Professional Staff in the PA Time Off Plan.
Appointed Professional staff employees:
- Can use PTO on the first day of the month following the month it is earned.
- The rules for using and recording PTO vary according to the employee's salary plan (PAE, PAO, or PAU).
- Can use as much PTO as is earned from January 1 to December 31 of each year.
- Can carry over unused PTO to the next calendar year. No more than what is earned in one year can be carried over.
- Can allocate up to a maximum of 12 days of unused PTO to a sick leave account at the end of each year. There is no limit on the total amount of time an employee may have in his or her sick leave account. Time in the sick leave account can be used to cover absences for personal and family medical needs.
- Unused PTO is paid at time of separation from the university.