Pay Guidelines and Policies by Career Structure
Jump to: Pay Guidelines
- Equal pay without regard to age, color, disability, ethnicity, gender, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status
- Emphasis on internal equity within a responsibility center
- Determining factors in salary decisions include the following:
- The employee’s job-related qualifications and performance
- Pay of other employees performing comparable work in the responsibility center
- The responsibility center’s fiscal status
- External market considerations for comparable work in the relevant labor market (local, state, regional, or national) and type of employer (general industry or higher education)
Before You Begin…
- Consult local department/RC/campus human resources
- Review applicable pay and salary setting policy and guidelines
- Consult fiscal officer to determine resources and salary guidelines
- Consult IU HR Compensation Programs as needed
Pay Guidelines by Career Structure
Exempt Individual Contributor
This career structure contains exempt (not overtime-eligible) individual contributor roles across the university. Exempt roles are paid on a salary basis and must meet the criteria of at least one of the FLSA duties exemption tests and meet the minimum salary threshold as outlined by the FLSA.
Exempt People Leader
This career structure contains exempt (not overtime-eligible) people leader roles across the university. A people leader role is primarily responsible for overseeing and managing other staff employees. Exempt roles are paid on a salary basis and must meet the criteria of at least one of the FLSA duties exemption tests and meet the minimum salary threshold as outlined by the FLSA.
Non-Exempt Individual Contributor
This career structure contains only non-exempt (overtime-eligible) roles across the university. Non-exempt roles do not meet the criteria as outlined by the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) duties exemption tests and/or do not meet the FLSA minimum salary threshold to qualify as exempt from overtime.