Classification in the IU Job Framework
New Positions—Processing Instructions
For new position classification requests, leaders and HR representatives should consider the primary, fundamental responsibilities that are necessary for the position. With a sense of the work needing to be performed, the IU Career Navigator can then be used to filter (or search) to identify the most appropriate role descriptor that is representative of the position.
- Consider the business need(s) and the work needing to be performed. Consider the type of experience/background that you think might be necessary to perform the role. The Position Description online form is useful for conceptualizing and considering the needs of the position.
- Keeping in mind that role descriptors are NOT unique to any specific position, utilize the IU Career Navigator Tool to identify the most appropriate role descriptor that represents the fundamental responsibilities that will be performed.
- If the most appropriate role descriptor is exempt (Exempt Individual Contributor or People Leader role), the hiring manager and/or local department/campus HR representative MUST complete the FLSA Questionnaire and provide additional information to certify FLSA status.
*Ensuring accurate FLSA status is a requirement under federal law. The burden of proof is on the employer. If you are unsure or have questions about a position’s FLSA status, IUHR Compensation Programs is available to consult and assist with completing the FLSA Questionnaire. Departments/Responsibility Centers are responsible for any DOL penalties and/or fines due to FLSA non-compliance.
- Department/RC HR representative submits Create Position eDoc (NEW) via HRMS. The effective date is the date the eDoc is initiated.
- In the eDoc note, include the desired role descriptor title and level.
- Attach a departmental organizational chart, including incumbent names, in the note section to demonstrate where the new position is intended to be situated among current positions.
- If requesting an exemption, attach the FLSA Questionnaire to the eDoc note.
- Once all fields have been completed, click on the “submit” button. The eDoc will automatically route electronically for approvals.
- Once review has been completed by IU HR Compensation Programs, the eDoc will be saved in HRMS, and a position number will be assigned. The eDoc initiator will receive notification indicating the position number and classification of the position. Those in the routing approval chain should notify others in their department, as needed, of the new position number and classification.
Not Finding Appropriate Role Descriptor?
If leaders and/or HR representatives are unable to identify an appropriate role descriptor that is representative of the primary, fundamental responsibilities that are necessary for the position needed, they should complete the Position Description Online Form to document details and pertinent information about the position.
Completing the Position Description Online Form will not automatically result in a new role descriptor being created. IUHR Compensation Programs will review the request using the Position Description Online form to help better understand the needs of the department.
- If no role descriptor can be identified using the IU Career Navigator Tool, leaders and HR representatives should complete the Position Description Online Form, providing as much information and describing the position needed as accurately as possible.
- Once the online form is submitted, it will be emailed to the person who submitted it in the proper format.
- Local HR representatives will review the form to ensure completion and then reach to the IUHR Compensation team with details about the situation, including the position description documentation, to initiate a review and consultation.