Classification in the IU Job Framework
Jump to: Position Classification Requests
- A job framework is the structure or overall organization of jobs within job functions, job families, and job levels and is used to better identify career progressions and to facilitate effective compensation administration.
- Classification is the assessment of a position to identify the most appropriate placement within the IU Job Framework.
Career Level Structure
The structure below represents how roles (jobs) are organized in the job framework.
Career Level Guides
Before you begin…
- Leaders should reach out to local HR representatives as a first point of contact when considering position actions/activities. IU HR Compensation is available to consult and provide support as needed.
- Refer to any applicable policies.
Position Classification Requests
For new position classification requests, leaders and HR representatives should consider the primary, fundamental responsibilities that are necessary for the position. With a sense of the work needing to be performed, the IU Career Navigator can then be used to filter (or search) to identify the most appropriate role descriptor that is representative of the position.
It is important to remember that role descriptors are NOT position descriptions and are intended to represent numerous positions; role descriptors are not specific to any individual position.
Not finding a role descriptor? Follow these guidelines.
Existing Positions and Career Progression
For existing position classification requests, leaders and HR representatives should review what has changed in the position and assess whether the changes necessitate a different classification and role descriptor. Leaders and HR representatives should use the IU Career Navigator to identify the most appropriate role descriptor that represents the business needs and/or work performed in the position.
Other Administrative Actions/Activities
To find information and instructions about
- Reorganization of positions
- “Reports to” changes
- Activate/Inactivate positions
- 10-month positions
visit the Other Position Actions/Requests web page.