Birth or Adoption of a Child

The birth or adoption of a child will allow you to make changes to your benefit plans outside of Open Enrollment.

To make changes to any of the plans listed immediately below, you will need to one request a Life Events change through the Employee Center and two complete online enrollment of your changes once your request is approved by HR. You must make the change within 30 days.

Note regarding newborn coverage:

Dental plan

Medical plan

Personal Accident Insurance plan

Tax Saver Benefit

Health Care:

  • Add or increase election.

Dependent Care:

  • Add or increase coverage

(Consistency rule is satisfied if change corresponds with a Life Event Change that affects either eligibility for coverage under Plan or eligibility of expenses under applicable IRS regulations.)

You may also want to consider making changes to the plans listed below. Such changes do not require completion of a Life Event Change form and can be done at any time.

Change Beneficiaries on Retirement and Insurance plans

IU Tuition Benefit

IU Tax Deferred Account (formerly IU Tax Deferred Annuity Plan)

IU 457(b) Retirement Plan