A-Z Index Forms Contact Us
UHRSskip navigation
BenefitsCompensation ProgramsEmployee RelationsEmploymentHR SystemsOrg DevelopmentPoliciesWorkers' Comp
Indiana University

University Human Resources

Family Status Change

Benefit plans can be affected by family status changes, some of which qualify as an official change in status by the IRS (e.g., marriage or birth of a child). Plans not affected by this change are listed behind the tab to the left, "Enroll in a Plan or Make Plan Changes."

Generally, when you enroll in benefits as a new employee, enrollment begins on the date of hire, and you cannot make any changes until the next Open Enrollment period. However, if you experience a qualified change in status, you can make mid-year changes under the law.

Family Change

Birth or adoption Marriage of employee Divorce/legal separation
Domestic partnership Death of spouse/child Change in residence
Dependent care provider or cost

Dependent Child Change

Reaches age 26 Disabled child age 26 or above

Employment Status Change

Leave of absence Separate from IU Transfer
Change in non-IU coverage

Court Order/Government Program Change

Guardianship order Support order Medicaid or Medicare


Examples of Types of Changes You can Make

Request Family Status Change

Page updated: 22 June 2012
Contact Benefits: • (812) 855-2172