Interim Vice President for Human Resources & Senior Director of HR Operations
420 N. Walnut Street
Bloomington, IN 47404
As Interim Vice President for Human Resources, Laura Kress is the university’s chief human resources officer and oversees Indiana University’s human resources strategy. She is also responsible for supporting the efforts of a collaborative community of HR professionals located throughout the university who provide HR services and strategic planning to their respective campus, school, or department.
A lifelong Hoosier, Kress earned a Bachelor of Science from IU’s Kelley School of Business. After beginning her professional career in Information Technology, she joined IU in 1998 and has held multiple IT and Human Resources leadership positions throughout her career.
After 9 years supporting IT at IU, Kress joined the IU HR team as the Senior Director of HR Operations in 2007. In this role, she is responsible for a broad range of HR and IT functions, including:
- Overseeing askHR—the university-wide HR customer service function that connects employees, job applicants, recruits, retirees, and others with HR-related support.
- Administering leaves to support employees’ use of Worker’s Compensation, Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), and the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA).
- Review and approval of all staff-related HR system transactions, such as new positions, hires, terminations, pay adjustments, and more.
- Support, training, and access management for varying HR systems used by hiring teams and job candidates at IU.
- Development and support for HR-related operational and analytical decision support tools.
Kress was appointed Interim Vice President for Human Resources in August of 2021.