New Service and Support Staff
Life, Disability, & Accident Insurance
For complete descriptions and details, follow the web page for each topic. Plans booklets are also available on each plan page.
Unless otherwise noted, enrollment in these plans is initiated by the employee. For all plans: If an employee is placed on leave at the time of initial employment, the employee's coverage becomes effective on the first day of active employment.
Basic Group Life ↪web page
- Coverage takes effect on the date of hire and is provided at no cost to the employee.
- Eligible employees are automatically enrolled in Basic Life Insurance.
- Additional coverage may be purchased by the employee through the voluntary Supplemental Group Life Insurance benefit.
Supplemental Life ↪web page
- Newly eligible employees have 30 days from their date of hire to an eligible position to enroll, up to the Guaranteed Issue amount, regardless of their medical status.
- The cost for Supplemental Life Insurance is paid entirely by the employee.
- Employees enrolled in Supplemental Life coverage may also purchase supplemental coverage for their spouse and/or child(ren) from live birth through age 25.
- Employees who enroll after 30 days, or who would like to elect any Maximum Coverage amount, may do so only by proving they are in good health. This requires that the employee submit a Medical History Statement to be approved by the benefit underwriter, The Standard. In some cases, The Standard may request supplemental medical information or a physical exam. The Standard will notify the employee of their determination and if approved, will notify Indiana University Human Resources who will process your enrollment.
- Learn more about enrolling in, terminating, or changing Supplemental Life Insurance.
Long Term Disability ↪web page
- Initiation of Plan participation must be made within 30 days after becoming an eligible employee, by submitting the appropriate paperwork to the campus Human Resources Office.
- The total premium for LTD coverage is paid by the employee.
- Application for enrollment or change in coverage option after the first 30 days of eligibility must be accompanied by a Medical History Statement.
- Learn more about enrolling in, terminating, or changing Long Term Disability Insurance.
Supplemental Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) ↪web page
- New employees have 30 days from the date of employment to enroll.
- The premiums for coverage are paid in full by the employee.
- After 30 days, eligible employees who do not choose to enroll at the time of employment may do so during the annual Open Enrollment Period.