Notes for Hiring International Students

  1. F-1 students have the I-20 as their immigration document. J-1 students, scholars, and short-term visitors received the IAP-66 as their immigration document until September 2002; from September 2002, J-1 visitors have received a DS-2019 instead. The IAP-66 and the DS-2019 are very similar.
  2. The sponsor of an international student or employee is the institution or organization that prepared the immigration document (I-20 or IAP-66/DS-2019) that the individual used to enter the country. That institution or organization is named in Item 2 of the document.
  3. Generally, international students may work on campus up to 20 hours a week when fall or spring classes are in session. There is no limit to the hours students can work on campus during break periods or the summer. If a student works more than 20 hours a week in a job over the summer, the student must reduce to 20 hours a week once the semester begins.
  4. Students must be enrolled in full-time study during the fall and spring semester. The federal regulations that define "full-time" are complex, and the international office will monitor enrollment status through IUIE reports.