Human Resources Announcement
Year-End Pay Dates and Paid Time-Off Accruals
Holiday Season December 2016/January 2017
A. Year-End Pay Dates
- For Support, Service, and PAO and PAU Professional Staff, the last pay date of 2016 is December 30, 2016, for time worked between December 4, 2016 and December 17, 2016.
- PAE Professional Staff will receive pay for work during December 2016 on January 3, 2017.
B. Use of Unused 2016 Holiday Hours Accruals
Unused Holiday accruals from 2015 must be used by the end of the last pay period of 2016
- For Support, Service, and PAO and PAU Staff, Holiday time-off earned in 2015 must be used by December 31, 2016.
- For PAE Staff, Holiday time-off earned in 2015 must be used by December 31, 2016.
C. Use of Accrued Paid Time-off During Departmental Closings
Paid holidays for Christmas Day and New Year’s Day will be Monday, December 26, 2016, and Monday January 2, 2017, respectively. To receive pay for the time a department is closed between these dates, Support and Service Staff must use accrued Vacation hours or accrued Compensatory time-off; PAO and PAU Staff must use PTO or accrued Compensatory time off; and PAE Staff must use accrued PTO.
Service and Support Staff cannot use Income Protection time and Professional Staff cannot use PTO Sick Bank time to cover this time unless the reason for doing so qualifies under the provisions of the Personnel Policies governing these categories of paid time-off.
D. Borrowing Future Vacation or PTO Accruals
Support and Service Staff employees hired after June 30th, and Professional Staff employees hired October 1st or later, may not have accrued sufficient time off to cover the closing of a department between Christmas and New Year’s Day. In this case, the employee may borrow against future accruals of Vacation hours or PTO. This is the only time in which borrowing against future accruals is allowed. (Employees should contact their departmental payroll specialist for instructions.)
- As soon as the employee earns Vacation or PTO accruals, the borrowed time is charged against the accrued time.
- If the employee separates from University employment before earning the borrowed time, the employee’s final paycheck will be adjusted accordingly.
- Employees hired before these dates who do not have sufficient accruals to cover the holiday closing will take the time off as absence without pay.
Contact UHR at 856-6047 or FMS at 855-0375 for questions.
IU Human Resources
November 17, 2016