University Human Resources
Human Resources Announcement
Adverse Weather Policy for Staff & Temporary Employees
The University does not normally close during adverse weather, although there will be times when certain employees cannot travel to work, may arrive late, or may need to leave early.
Employees are expected to use their best judgment when traveling to or from work and should not endanger themselves nor ignore the statements of local officials.
If adverse weather conditions cause extreme travel hazards to or from work:
- The employee should make every effort to notify his/her supervisor.
- The advance notice requirements for use of time off will be waived.
- Support, Service, PAO, PAS, and PAU Staff may use accrued time off or, with approval, may make up the work time during the same week.
- PAE Staff absent for a full work day may use accrued PTO.
- Staff employees may either charge an absence against time-off accruals or, at their option, be absent without pay but with benefit time accrual.
If adverse weather conditions are extremely severe, designated University senior management may close the campus and announce on local radio stations that employees are not to report to work. (The cancellation of classes does not mean that the campus is closed.)
- Staff who would normally be at work during the hours that the campus is closed and who were not already scheduled off are eligible for regular pay for the absence.
- There are some essential jobs which must be performed during such circumstances. Supervisors are to notify employees in such jobs of this requirement in advance
- Only Essential Support and Service Staff and Temporary employees required to work on campus during a closure will receive additional compensation; Support and Service Staff receive their regular pay plus time and one half additional pay or time off; Temporary employees receive their regular pay plus time and one half additional pay; PA Staff (i.e. PAE, PAO, PAS, and PAU) receive their regular pay but do not receive any additional pay or time off.
- Non-emergency Staff who report to work when the campus is closed will be compensated at their regular rate of pay.
- Although the campus may be “closed,” this does not necessarily mean the University Adverse Weather policy applies to employees working at locations outside the immediate campus area. This includes Support, Service, PAO, PAS, and PAU Staff and Temporary employees who perform work from home or from other off-campus locations; such employees will receive their regular pay for any hours worked.
Employees are advised to listen to local radio stations for information, or visit the Emergency Information Web Site: http://protect.iu.edu/emergency or call:
- At Bloomington: 1-877-482-5486
- At IUPUI: 1-317-278-1600
Note: All absences from work for Temporary employees are without pay.
University Human Resources
December 9, 2016