Roles & Responsibilities
Standard Users/Form I-9 Initiators
Units designate the role of Compli-9 (GIS) System Standard User to individuals in the unit. These individuals must be Indiana University employees. Compli-9 (GIS) System Standard Users have the following responsibilities:
- New users should review the Form I-9/E-Verify training material available on the IU Human Resources website.
- New and existing users should attend I-9/E-Verify training classes when the classes are provided.
- Log into the Compli-9 (GIS) system and initiate a new I-9 by entering basic new hire information. If emailing the credentials, the Compli-9 (GIS) system will send an invite to the new employee to complete Section 1 of Form I-9.
- Once the employee completes Section 1 of the I-9 complete Section 2 of Form I-9.
- Review the original document(s) presented by the employee that show his or her identity and employment authorization. The employee must be present while the document(s) are being examined.
- The employee must stop working if Section 1 or 2 of the Form I-9 are not completed by the required deadlines.
- The E-Verify case will be submitted automatically by the system once Section 2 of the Form I-9 is completed if the Form I-9 contains a SSN.
- View E-Verify results for Confirmation or Tentative Non-Confirmation of employment eligibly, immediately notify Human Resources or Academic Affairs offices respectively of an E-Verify Tentative Non-Confirmation result, and refer the employee to that office.
- Close cases in which eligibility to work has been confirmed and inform the employee (anticipated to be the vast majority of the cases).
Human Resources and Academic Affairs
Human Resources and Academic Affairs have the following responsibilities:
- Upon notice from the hiring unit or GIS that E-Verify results indicate a Tentative Non-Confirmation to work, the respective HR or Academic Affairs office will ensure that the employee is informed of such Tentative Non-Confirmation, assist the employee in submitting a request to DHS or SSA for resolution, and follow-up for final disposition.
- HR or Academic Affairs will notify the hiring unit:
- To terminate the individual’s employment if the employee does not request resolution from DHS or SSA, or if after reconsideration, DHS or SSA indicates a final Non-Confirmation of eligibility to work;
- to continue the individual’s employment if DHS or SSA responds with a Confirmation of eligibility to work; and
- to inform the employee of the final results. HR or Academic Affairs will then close the case.
Criminal Background Check
System Users/Background Check Initiators
Units have designated the role of eQuest+ (GIS) System User to individuals in the unit. These individuals must be Indiana University employees. eQuest+ (GIS) System Users have the following responsibilities:
- Ensure that the individual has received, reviewed, and agreed to the University background check disclosure and consent forms.
- Log into the eQuest+ (GIS) system and select the appropriate criminal background check package, work state, then enter the individual’s identification and address information.
- Review the order confirmation and then submit the criminal background check order.
- The initiator of the background check order will receive an email from the eQuest+ (GIS) system once the report has been completed.
- Confirm the grade of the criminal background check to verify employment and/or Programs Involving Children eligibility.
Human Resources, Academic Affairs, and Public Safety
Human Resources, Academic Affairs, and Public Safety have the following responsibilities:
- If the criminal background check report lists a SSN validation issue, and/or a records “hit” GIS will assign a “pending” grade to the report. The respective HR or Academic Affairs office or University Public Safety will be responsible for adjudicating the report and assigning a final grade.
- HR, Academic Affairs, or Public Safety will work with the unit and/or program to review the “pending” criminal background check report, and assign the final grade.