Form I-9 and E-Verify
- After the new employee accepts the job offer the hiring department can initiate the Form I-9 using the Compli-9 (GIS) system. The employee’s login credentials can be emailed or provided directly to them.
- The new employee accesses the Compli-9 (GIS) system using their login credentials, and completes Section 1 of the Form I-9 before or on their first day of employment.
- Once Section 1 is completed, the hiring department completes Section 2 of the Form I-9 within three business days of the date employment begins. If either Section 1 or 2 of the Form I-9 cannot be properly completed, then the individual is not permitted to continue working.
- Section 1 must be completed by the end of the 1st workday.
- Section 2 must be done by the end of the 3rd business day after employment begins.
- After the Form I-9 is completed, the Compli-9 (GIS) system automatically submits the E-Verify case. The E-Verify system checks the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Social Security Administration (SSA) databases to confirm the employee’s eligibility to work in the U.S. E-Verify requires the employee to have a SSN. If an international employee completed the Form I-9 before receiving their SSN the E-Verify case will not be submitted until a SSN is entered into the Compli-9 (GIS) system.
Criminal Background Checks
- After the department receives an accepted job offer it can provide the employee with the background check consumer disclosure and consent form (PDF). If the position was posted using the IU PeopleAdmin system the background check consumer disclosure and consent forms were reviewed and signed as part of the online application process.
- Once the employee reviews and signs the form, the department can obtain and enter the individual’s personal data into the eQuest+ (GIS) system, and submits the criminal background check report request in order to verify the criminal information that the individual self-disclosed during the application process.
- General Information Services (GIS) creates a criminal background check report. The average time that it will take GIS to complete the report is 1.2 business days.
- If the criminal background check reports does not result in any SSN validation issues, convictions, sex offender registry findings and/or any other “hits” the report will be assigned the “Meets University Standards – Employment & PIC” (Programs Involving Children) grade automatically by GIS.
- If the criminal background check report does result in any SSN validation issues, convictions, sex offender registry findings, and/or any other “hits” the reports will be assigned the “Pending” grade by GIS.
- A criminal background check that results in “pending” requires additional review and adjudication. The check will be adjudicated by the campus HR office, University HR, campus Academic Affairs, or University Public Safety depending on the reason why the check was ordered..
- The criminal background check report will be assigned a “Meets or Does Not Meet University Standards” grade by the adjudicator.
- The appropriate office works with the department during the adjudication process.