18/20 Retirement Plan Overview
The 18/20 Plan has two distinct benefit components:
- Interim Benefit – a deferred compensation provision
- Retirement Account Contributions – a defined contribution provision
Full-Time Appointed Academic and Professional Staff Grade 16 and above employees who are covered by the IU Retirement Plan 15% Level of Contributions at Indiana University on or before July 14, 1988, and completed at least 20 years of continuous full-time service at Indiana University with 18 years of participation in Indiana University's IU Retirement Plan 15% Level of Contributions, and who retire on or after the participant's 64th birthday and prior to the participant's 70th birthday.
Payments by Indiana University of Interim Benefits and retirement account contributions shall terminate on the earliest of the following dates:
- the date of the participant's death, or
- the date the participant resumes gainful employment by an entity funded by the State of Indiana, or
- five years from the date of retirement, or
- the participant's 70th birthday
Interim Benefit refers to the single life annuity derived from regular Indiana University contributions to the IU Retirement Plan 15% Level of Contributions at age 70, or five years from the date of retirement, whichever comes first, assuming:
- IU Retirement Plan 15% Level of Contributions continue to age 70, or for five years from the date of retirement, whichever comes first, and
- a contribution history and continuation of regular Indiana University IU Retirement Plan 15% Level of Contributions of 50% to TIAA Traditional Annuity and 50% to CREF Stock Fund (regardless of actual allocation), and
- investment returns of 6% from the date of retirement to age 70 or for five years from the date of retirement, whichever comes first, and
- annuity conversion factors used by TIAA-CREF applicable at the time of the participant's retirement, and
- the participant's Terminal Base Salary is not exceeded.
Contributions to the participant's retirement account, at the regular IU Retirement Plan 15% Level rate, based on the participant's Terminal Base Salary.
Terminal Base Salary is the average budgeted base salary for the five years immediately preceding retirement.