University Human Resources
Promote (Demote) Employee eDoc
Promote (Demote) Employee eDoc Process
- In One.IU navigate to the eDocs tab in the HRMS Portal, click Promote or Demote Employee.
- How to access eDocs
- Promote and Demote Employee eDocs are similar activities in that in each case, the salary plan of the new position must be the same as the salary plan of the old position. The difference comes with promote, the salary grade of the new position must be greater than the salary grade of the old position. Whereas, for demote the salary grade of the new position must be less than the salary grade of the new position. For purposes of this SOS document we will follow through the Promote Employee eDoc process.
Promote Employee Document Lookup:
- Enter the University ID, click , and records that meet the search criteria will appear.
NOTE: It’s best to try to obtain the University ID, but if you don’t have it, utilize the other available search options below.
- Click on the Promote Employee Document link in the Actions column and the Initial Data section will appear. Note yellow highlighting will be discussed further down in the document.
- Enter the Effective Date of the promotion (demotion). The Effective Date is the date on which the promotion (demotion) takes effect. Next enter the Position Number. The manager or supervisor may provide you the position number, but if not, you can look it up using the icon. The position lookup screen provides you various search criteria to help you identify the position number for the promotion or demotion.
Since you will likely know the Salary Grade of the new position, the search results can be sorted by the Salary Grade column.
After entering the Effective Date, select the Position Number and click, . The Action Reason and Job Data selection screens will both appear and automatically display the action reason, since there is only one action reason possible for promote and only one action reason for demote.
Note: HRMS eDocs provide you with two columns of information. The left column shows you data for the employee’s record as it currently exists in the system. The data is copied forward to the right column with only certain field(s) editable. In this case, the two editable fields are: Standard Hours and Compensation Rate.
- Enter the Compensation Rate if different (by clicking on the Calc Annual Rate, you will see the Calc Annual Rate). Note that any data that appears different on the right side will result in the entire row being highlighted in yellow. This not only helps you confirm any changes before submitting for routing, but also helps approvers note changes when they review the eDoc for approval:
Now click .
Note: If you realize you need to make a change after moving to the next section of the eDoc, you can use the button to return to previous section. You can return to all the way back to the Effective Date section in this manner.
Review the Earnings Section and update any funding information that needs to be changed. Since the employee in our example is changing positions, it is important to review not only the work area and voucher code, but also the accounting line(s) to determine any needed edits.
Notes and Attachments
Below is a typical note you might add. You may also add an attachment such as a spreadsheet, PDF file or a Word document.
Once you’ve reviewed your eDoc one final time, select to route the eDoc for approval. The eDoc should say, “Document was successfully submitted.”. Now select at the bottom of the document. Note that the status has changed to “ENROUTE”.
During document preparation you may want to save or close the eDoc to finish it later or for whatever reason you may have a need to cancel it. Otherwise, once you have reviewed your document and you are ready to route it, you will be presented with the possible actions listed below.
Take this action when you have completed and reviewed your eDoc and you are ready to submit for routing.
This action saves the eDoc back to your Action List if you need to complete and route it at a later time.
This action closes the eDoc and appears once you save, cancel or submit for routing.
This action cancels the eDoc for you. Please use the cancel button rather than the “X” in the upper right corner of your browser screen. Closing an eDoc using the “X” in your browser, will leave the eDoc in INITIATED status, causing any further actions on the employee’s record to be blocked without help from the HRMS Support Center.
The full screen will appear as below: