University Human Resources
Leave of Absence - Unpaid
Leave Absence for both faculty and appointed staff may be either paid or unpaid. Unpaid Leave of Absence is always at 100%. In this document we will cover Unpaid Leave of Absence.
Paid Leave of Absence instructions can found in the following two documents:
- In One.IU navigate to the eDocs tab in the HRMS Portal, click Leave of Absence.
- How to access eDocs
Leave of Absence Document Lookup
- Enter the University ID, click , and records that meet the search criteria will appear.
NOTE: It’s best to try to obtain the University ID, but if you don’t have it, you may utilize the other available search options below.
- Click on the Leave of Absence Document link in the Actions column and the Effective Date section will appear. Enter the Effective Date of the Leave of Absence. The Effective Date is the date on which the Leave of Absence takes effect.
- After entering the Effective Date, select . The Action Reason selection screen will appear with two options for Action. In this case we chose Leave of Absence. We will discuss Paid Leave of Absence following the Unpaid Leave of Absence instructions.
- Select the appropriate Action Reason. In this example, we choose Medical Reasons (MED). Select and the Job Data section will appear.
Note: HRMS eDocs provide you with two columns of information. The left column shows you data for this employee’s record as it currently exists in the system. The data is copied forward to the right column with only certain field(s) editable. In this case, there is only one editable field: Expected Return Date.
Enter the Expected Return Date. Earn Code, Earning Distribution Type and Percent Distribution are calculated by eDoc logic. As in other Employee Activities documents, data on the right side that has been updated is highlighted in yellow. This not only helps you confirm any changes before submitting for routing, but also helps approvers see changes when they review the eDoc for approval.
Now click .
Note: If you realize you need to make a change after moving to the next section of the eDoc, you can use the button to return to previous section. You can return all the way back to the Effective Date section in this manner.
Review the Earnings Section and update any funding information that needs to be changed. On many of the Employee Activities eDocs, we’ve provided the opportunity to update funding. But, in this example we have chosen to leave the funding as is.
Notes and Attachments
Below is a typical note you might add. You may also add an attachment such as a spreadsheet, PDF file or a Word document.
Once you’ve reviewed your eDoc one final time, select to route the eDoc for approval. The eDoc should say, “Document was successfully submitted.”. Now select at the bottom of the document. Note that the status has changed to “ENROUTE”.
During document preparation you may want to save or close the eDoc to finish it later, or for whatever reason, you may have a need to cancel it. Otherwise, once you have reviewed your document and you are ready to submit it, you will be presented with the possible actions listed below.
Take this action when you have completed and reviewed your eDoc and you are ready to submit for routing.
This action saves the eDoc back to your Action List if you need to complete and route it at a later time.
This action closes the eDoc for you once you save, cancel or submit it for routing.
This action cancels the eDoc for you. Please use the cancel button rather than the “X” in the upper right corner of your browser screen. Closing an eDoc using the “X” in your browser, may cause any further actions on the employee’s record to be blocked without technical assistance.
The full screen will appear as below: