University Human Resources
Foreign Employees Sponsored by IU
Prior to Arrival at IU or Change of Status
International offices will:
- Use standard intake forms for visa processing to collect necessary bio-demo for prospective international employees to be sponsored by IU.
- Create a basic bio/demo record with Legal Name, date of birth, sex, SSN (if relevant), country of citizenship, and pending visa status.
- This information will be automatically sent nightly via IUIE to the VisaManager software to facilitate further visa processing by the international office. Although this information will be kept in two separate databases, data entry should only be required once—in PeopleSoft’s HRMS/SIS.
- Communicate to individual and the department his or her University ID.
- Complete the Hire electronic document providing position, department and compensation information and other information not entered by the international office. Performing the search using the University ID provided by the international office will help ensure that the correct individual is identified.
- Update the home address, mailing address, primary name and preferred name fields as necessary.
- Review the individual’s completed I-9 form and supporting documentation, record the I-9 verification date and I-9 expiration date in the Hire electronic document and forward the I-9 to Academic HR or HR office.
- Fax a copy of the documentation used to complete the I-9 to the international office.
Upon Arrival/INS Approval of new status
The international office will:
- Verify I-94 and supporting documentation and update visa status from pending to current
- Record IU work permit authorization as appropriate.